Upton’s Confectionery -1910
It is believed that Clifford A. Upton arrived in Globe in 1909. He and his father, William, are listed as having a confectionery store in 1910 that sold brittle and chocolate. He later bought a building at 247 S. Broad Street which would be known as the Factory Store. At the same time, he implemented three other confectionery stores, two in globe and one in Miami. The facility at the 247 S. Broad location became the center of the candy-making business. The second story of the building is leased out as apartments.
Clifford Upton hired many of his own family members to help work at or run the business. The second story Upton’s also created their own ice cream which they sold at the Valley store, to other restaurants and to Williams, Luke and Thunderbird Airfields until World War II.
Zelpha Gantt, a cousin of Clifford Upton, worked for him at the Factory Store. She added a cafe to the confectioneries, making sandwiches, pies and fresh baked goods. Â Zelpha required the nickname Shorty, for her small stature. She Â bought the three Upton’s stores in Globe after 15 years of working there and continued to operate them. Eventually, she sold two of the three stores and kept the Factory Store on S. Broad.
The candy business was sold, but Upton’s in Globe continued for many years. Shorty leased the restaurant out after she retired. It was leased a couple of times before coming under the operation of Joe Odonetto.
With the passing of Joe, his neice, Lyndi Oddonetto and right-hand man, Adrian Perez carry on the tradition ofÂ offering hometown fare and serving up Mexican, Italian and American Dishes.
They are known for their Deserts!
And THURSDAYS are pasties day
Hours of Operation: Mon.-Fri. 6:00-2:30 Sat. 6:00-1:00