SAN CARLOS_Halloween Thursday, Oct. 31, is the deadline for $50 early registration to enter the big Nov. 9 Saturday parade adding color and music to one mile of downtown San Carlos – an event that’s a highlight of the Veterans Day Weekend festivities. So many events planned – from royalty pageants to a carnival, horseshoe tournament, 8K run (with a 1-mile walk/run option, too); culture night on Saturday – and impressive four-day lineup of music on the outdoor stage and also indoors at Apache Gold Casino – featuring favorite local bands such as Chaka & Friends and The Sneezy Boys, plus special guests from out-of-town. Details and contact information are all below – specific flyers and parade entry PDF forms and rules and more are all posted at dagoteh.com
* Parade Nov. 9. Entry is $50 prior to Oct. 31, and $75 after that deadline. Parade fees apply to most entries, see below, but are waived if you’re entering a “Float Tribute to a Veteran”. This special category of fee-waived entry is reserved to honor veterans, and must not include royalty title or company logo. Other entry categories include Commercial, Horseback, Group Marching, Walking Group, Musical Group non-commercial royalty (age 13+); Royalty youth (Age 0-12), Military Veteran, and ‘Other.’ Entries mailed and postmarked by Oct. 31 must include $50 parade registration – or $75 after Oct. 31. entries can be dropped-off in person at the SWFF Office at Tribal Forestry by Oct. 31 no later than 4:00 p.m.; entries by mail should be addressed to Chrissa Stevens-DesRosiers, PO Box 1225, San Carlos, AZ, 85550 along with money order. Questions? Call Chrissa Stevens-Desrosiers (951)970-6083. Download a parade form at dagoteh.com.
On Saturday morning parade registration begins before sunrise — bright and early at 6:00 a.m. at the corner of the school district office and Burdette Hall, lineup also starts at 6:00 and continues until the parade starts promptly at 10:00 a.m. For more information contact parade committee members Chrissa Stevens-Desrosiers (951)970-6083, Dina Benavides (928)812-4704, Mary Kane 961-3114, Ashley Dillon 961-3845, Wilfred Steele 961-0515, Jay Boni 200-3845, Christine Reede 96100878.
Make sure to filled out a complete description for your entry; the announcer will read what is written on your description.
PARADE JUDGING: entries are limited to a five-minute performance in front of the judges’ stand. The San Carlos Parade
* Music Festival Nov. 7-10 at Apache Gold Casino. Thursday Nov. 7 from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Dennis Yazzie & the Night Breeze are on the outdoor stage, with Greywolf playing from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. inside The Point Sports Bar
Nov. 8, Friday brings a metal show on the outdoor stage with Koyote / Kept Alive from 5:00-5:45; Existence Ad from 6:00-6:45; Celestial Exile 7:00-7:56; Enemy Machine 8:00-8:45; and there’s also music inside the Point Sports Bar with Chaka & Friends from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. Nov. 9 (Saturday) the Sneezy Boys rock the outdoor stage from 1:00-2:00 p.m.; followed by Black Point Valley Boys 2:15-3:15 p.m.; Aravaipa 3:30-4:30 p.m.; Edgewater 4:45-5:45 p.m.; Chaka & Friends 6:00-7:00 p.m.; and from 9:00-1:00 Aravaipa plays inside The Point Sports Bar. A special concert in the convention center at 7:00 p.m. features Kings And Comrades, and also Through The Roots. Nov. 10, Sunday brings a Gospel Jam to the outdoor stage with Haj Boni at 3:00 p.m., Delmar Hooke from 4:00-4:45; Boni Sisters 5:00-5:45; Doyle & Debra Davis 6:00-6:45; Robert Talkalai 7:00-7:45. And inside The Point Sports Bar the band Edgewater plays from 9:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. DJ Matt D and DJ Birdman will also be featured during the music festival. For more info call Santana Duane at (928)961-1849 or Jonah May at (928)961-4561
* Carnival Nov. 7-11 — no tickets sold, FREE! Frazier Shows brings the carnival to Apache Gold Casino, opening Thursday night from 6:00-9:00 and continuing Friday 6:00 – 10:00 p.m., Saturday 2:00-11:00 p.m. and Sunday 1:00- 5:00p.m.
Questions? Call 475-1600, ext 1601 or 1602.
* Chairman’s Golf Tournament Friday Nov. 8 at Apache Stronghold Golf Course – all proceeds benefits the San Carlos Apache Veterans Association. Sponsorships are available at various price levels – some of which include golf entries. For details or registration call Cali Strands at 928-475-1619 or 200-9370
* Softball & Baseball Tournaments ASA Rules apply; awards range from shirts to pullovers. Call Chris Duncan at 928-961-0092. Softball tournament Nov. 2 with men’s and women’s divisions – entry $150. Baseball tournament Nov. 8-10 with entry fee $200. CoedSoftball tournament Nov. 9-10; entry $200.
* Youth Basketball Tournament Nov. 7-9 at the Gilson Wash Activity Center with five divisions for kids in primary school through high school; entry fees $100 for younger kids teams – and $150 for high school. Questions? Call Rachel Longknife at 918-812-1668
* Mis San Carlos Apache Queen Pageant Nov. 8, Friday at Snyder Burdette Hall in San Carlos. Advance tickets are $8, or $10 at the door. For details call Jonell Robertson at 475-7606 or Rose Rope at 475-2343.
* 8K and also 1 mile Run Nov. 9 at 7:30 a.m. Entry is $20 for runners who pre-register on Nov. 8 at 10:00 a.m. (sign-up at the old Finance building lawn), or $25 on race day — which starts from the same location. All entrants get a T-shirt, overall male and female winners of the 8K run win a jacket, trophy and $500 — with individual age category medals to the top three winners of various categories. Winner of the 1-mile walk/run takes home a trophy and $50.
Questions? Call Berlinda Gilbert at (928) 812-3897 or Harley Gilbert Jr. (928)961-0064
* Nov. 9 Culture Night Performances at San Carlos High School – doors open at 3:30 p.m.; admission $5 for adults and $3 for children. Questions? Call Kyia Jackson (928)475-1781 or (928)812-5752
* Horseshoe Tournament Nov. 9 starting at 1:00 pm at Apache Gold Casino. Open singles and also doubles — double elimination. Registration’s onsite from Noon til 1:00 p.m.; entry fee is $20 for singles cash prizes to the top three winners, with T-shirts for all participants. Participants can bring your own partner, and bring your own horseshoes. Bring your own chairs, too! For details call Tom Antonio at (928)475-5644