GLOBE- Ken Giovando, a Globe High School alumnus whose coaching career spans 50 years, will be recognized this Saturday during game day as the University of Arizona takes on BYU. It was during the 1964 game where defensive lineman, Giovando playing for the Wildcats against BYU intercepted two passes and accomplished a feat that has not been repeated since.
Head Coach Jim LaRue said at the time, “I’ve never heard of a defensive lineman intercepting two passes in one game anywhere or anytime at any level of the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) Division I, Division II, Division III, and NAIA.”
Prior to the start an impressive coaching career, Giovando lettered in three sports (football, basketball and baseball) at Globe High School and was named the top lineman in the Southern Conference of Arizona. In 1961 he was selected as a first team offensive and defensive lineman on the Arizona All-State Team and later played in the Arizona High School All-Star game in Flagstaff in 1962.
Coach Giovando has been named one of Arizona’s outstanding athletes by renowned Arizona historian Marshall Trimble. He is mentioned in two of Trimble’s Arizona history books, Arizona—A Diamond in the Rough and Roadside History of Arizona.
NFL players who count among the many Giovando has coached include:
- Jeff Feagles – Seattle Seahawks punter
- Charlie Garner – 49’ers running back
- Joe Germaine – Ohio State quarterback, 1997 Rose Bowl MVP, Heisman Trophy candidate, and backupquarterback to Kurt Warner of the Super Bowl Champions St. Louis Rams
- Tim Ratty – a Louisiana Tech quarterback, Tim led all quarterbacks in the nation in touchdown passes andyards (1998), passed for school record 598 yards against Nebraska (August 29, 1999), All-Americancandidate and Heisman Trophy candidate
- Tim Croff – defensive tackle for the 49’ers
- Toby Wright – two-time All-American defensive back for the Nebraska Cornhuskers, All-Pro defensive backfor the St. Louis Rams
- Terry Wright – defensive back for the Indianapolis Colts
- William Tukuawafu – defensive tackle and fullback for the Seattle Seahawks (2013 Super Bowl Champions)
- Mike McCarthy – Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers, who played at Scottsdale Community College from1980-1982. Mike is probably the most well-known football player who played for Coach Giovando