Leaders to highlight county innovations in public health and safety, justice, other county programs
Gila County, AZ (April 3, 2018) — Gila County will celebrate National County Government Month (NCGM) during the month of April to showcase how the county is building healthy, vibrant and safe communities through innovative efforts in managing justice and public safety systems, fostering conditions for economic growth, strengthening infrastructure and pursuing many other efforts to improve residents’ quality of life.
The theme for this year’s celebration of NCGM is “Serving the Underserved,” showcasing the critical role counties play in breaking multi-generational cycles of poverty, especially with our children.
Featured NCGM events include:
- To kickoff NCGM, the Gila County Board of Supervisors will approve Proclamation No. 2018-01 proclaiming the month of April 2018 as National County Government Month at the Tuesday, April 3rd, Board of Supervisors’ meeting.
- “Free Appliance/Metal and Latex Paint Recycling Day” will take place at the Young Transfer Station only, on Saturday, April 14th, from 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM.
- On Tuesday, April 17th, there will be a Hamburger Fry in the patio area of the Gila County Courthouse from 11 AM – 2 PM. This is an annual fundraiser event by the local group for the Copper Valley Relay for Life.
- An art challenge for all schools within Gila County. In conjunction with Earth Day, the art challenge theme is, “Recycling and Our Environment.” Art contest entries will focus on what individuals, schools and communities can do to protect and enhance the environment. All entries will be displayed at the Gila County Courthouse throughout the month of April. Entries must be submitted no later than Friday, April 20th, please contact Sharon Winters at (928) 402-8531 for more information about the art contest.
- On Saturday, April 21st, from 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM, there will be a FREE Green Waste Day at the Buckhead Mesa and the Russell Gulch Landfills. They will be accepting Green Waste at NO charge and hope to encourage residents to clear property of weeds and brush in preparation of wildfire season. Green Waste includes tree limbs, pine needles, brush, grass clippings and leaves.
- On Wednesday, April 25th, in Payson and on Thursday, April 26th, in Globe, Gila County will be holding Health & Benefits Fairs for our employees and their families.
- On Saturday, April 28th, from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, the Globe-Miami STEMFest & Arbor Day Celebration will be held at the Gila Community College, 8274 S Six Shooter Canyon Road, in Globe.
- The Gila County Sheriff’s Office and Drug Enforcement Administration will be holding their annual Take-Back Initiative on Saturday, April 28th, from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM in the Wal-Mart parking lot, in Payson or at Fry’s in Globe from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Public is asked to bring their expired or unused prescription medications so they can be properly disposed of.
- Check out our NCGM display in the main lobby of the Gila County Courthouse located at 1400 E Ash Street, in Globe, and in the lobby of the Gila County Complex located at 610 E Highway 260, in Payson.“Gila County is proud of the programs and services we provide to our residents,” said Board Chairman Tommie Martin. “Our efforts combined with efforts of counties across the country are helping American communities thrive. I encourage all county residents to take advantage of National County Government Month outreach events to learn how the county can assist you and your loved ones.”
Since 1991 the National Association of Counties (NACo) has encouraged counties across the country to raise public awareness and understanding about the roles and responsibilities of counties.
For more information about NCGM, visit the NACo website at: https://www.naco.org/Counties/countiesdo/Pages/ncgm
This content comes to you through GMTimes staff and/or contributed content through press releases, submitted articles and non-profit organizations.